In order to maintain a safe and orderly environment for library users and to protect Library property, the following constitutes Library policy concerning the supervision of children:
- Parents and guardians are responsible for the conduct of their children on Library premises and must provide such reasonable supervision of their children as is appropriate based on the age and level of responsibility of each child.
- Parents and guardians should be aware of library opening and closing times and make suitable arrangements to meet and/or transport their children.
- The Library is not responsible for the care and supervision
of unaccompanied children prior to opening and after closing.
- If a child is unaccompanied in the library 15 minutes before
closing time, staff may assist the child in calling home to
arrange for transportation. Another call may be made at
closing time. If the child is not picked up within 15 minutes of
closing, staff will call for police assistance. If the police are
called when a parent or guardian fails to pick up the child, it is
considered “risk of injury to a minor” and is a criminal offense.
- Under no circumstances should a staff member transport
children home or to any other destination.
- Children, like all other Library users, are required to follow the Library’s rules and regulations.